Pages

February 25, 2014

Binding Tip - Happy Accident

I accidentally discovered a very useful way of keeping my binding tidy when machine sewing it onto the edge of a quilt.

I had made the binding for 4 baby quilts and after I coiled it, I thought it would look nice in a couple of little, round baking dishes I have. After taking a few photos and admiring the "cinnamon buns of binding", it was time to actually start sewing them on. I set the bowls on the little table beside my machine and started sewing, keeping an eye out just in case the bowls got pulled to the edge but they were heavy enough that they stayed perfectly put and the binding unwound smoothly while I sewed it on. It was great! And it prevented a lot of fraying that usually happens while I'm sewing the binding on.

I've seen other methods that include winding the binding onto a large spool that sits on top of your machine or winding the binding around the foot of your plexiglass surface, if you have one of those. I do and was going to do that but honestly, this was SO much easier.

I love a happy accident! Hopefully someone else will find this tip useful.


5 comments:

  1. It is sew good to see you finishing up your Oink A Doodle Moo quilts! Just took a look back and was also admiring your Granny Squares quilt too. You are doing just awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing Heather. Your case has proved that not all accidents are hurting. Keep sharing the good work. Though I'm not into winding and binding cloth work but I really loved it and hope it will be useful for others as well.

    Best Regards,
    Arnold Brame

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize that quilt! I didn't know it was called Oink A Doodle Moo fabric! So cute and we are so honoured to have one of your beautiful quilts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just found your blog this morning and I love your work!

    ReplyDelete

peace.love.quilt.comment