Pages

November 21, 2013

Vintage Fabrics - Contemporary Quilt

Well, at least I hope it will look contemporary despite the use of truly vintage fabrics. Don't "they" say that everything old is new again?

Mom gave me not only her sewing scraps but scraps that belonged to both my grandmothers. Last year Mom spent a week here during which she washed and pressed all the scraps and then I cut them up into various sizes. I have a very large box with enough cut pieces to make several quilts. These are just some of the  2.5" squares with Madrona Road text fabric for the background.

I'm now working on the layout and trying to decide about sashing, etc. With the connections and memories that come bundled with these fabrics, I hope this will be a much loved family quilt.
I think this might be the final layout of the squares. Now to decide on sashing. You probably didn't notice that all the squares have the same centres ... except for one. I like it. Don't want to be tooooo "matchy-matchy".
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I can hardly wait to see how it goes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea to put the MR text fabric in between the vintage fabric. It is as though the text represents the family stories that are in the vintage fabric and is the background that holds it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt and I love the text fabric background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really love this one! I love your mix of the old with the new & the granny square block was the perfect choice.
    Well done,

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the text background.. it looks so great.

    ReplyDelete

peace.love.quilt.comment