Pages

June 18, 2015

My Confetti Stars Block for Tarra’s Traveling Quilt


Tarra has a star theme going on for her traveling quilt ... obviously.

So many people in my guild (Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild) have jumped on the foundation paper piecing wagon and they’re making beautiful things. So I decided I would take this opportunity to give it a go.

Isn’t it pretty? I love the swirly background fabric. It gives a shooting star or fireworks effect, I think.

Here are the blocks that have been made so far! I can't wait to see it finished!


It's a very good thing I'm so pleased with how my block turned out because I really didn’t like the paper piecing process! I’ve never unpicked so many seams as I did on this little project. And all the waste fabric and weird shaped leftover scraps … and the mess of paper and thread and scraps all over my little studio! Not my thing. You paper piecers ... have at it!

Based on my objections to paper piecing, you would think I'm a very organized, tidy person. HA! My problems with paper piecing just don't make sense.



Still, I really like what came out of this painful process! I hope Tarra likes it, too! I think she will.

This block is 12.5" unfinished and was made using a free paper piecing pattern (Confetti Star) by Amy Friend of During Quit Time.

These are my first two squares. The 2nd one was mite easier but the 3rd and 4th didn't give me that aha moment. Maybe I'm missing something. I finished without stabbing my seam ripper in my eye. So there's that!

8 comments:

  1. your blocks look great! It's a shame you didn't get on with paper piecing, but not everyone can like everything all the time! Personally I love a bit of paper piecing but can't stand EPP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could paper piece with you for a couple of hours...I want to convert you so you love it! Your results are beautiful. The colors are great and the background fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post on SMQGS. I was able to travel the 2 hours down to the show with a friend
    ( I'm trying to interest her in quilting) and we really enjoyed the show. I'm sure it was a lot of work but I hope it will become an annual event. PP isn't for everyone, I get that. I had a similar first experience but with practice am doing less unpicking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well... don't I look silly - the post I was commenting on disappeared !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay my friend! I'm going to tie you to a chair and chant " I will love paper piecing" until you actually do! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, you did a fabulous job on the Confetti Star blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I with you on PP - Been there, see it, done it - go again? no thanks! But yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stars are lovely! That background fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

peace.love.quilt.comment